30 November 2013

Defining Love

I was recently asked by someone if I loved them. Love means different things to different people, so I thought I'd share with you all how I define love, and what it means to me. 

ACCEPTANCE
Love starts with acceptance. Accepting someone for who they are, what they are, and all that they offer the world. Acceptance of their opinions, beliefs, lifestyle, faults, flaws, character. Now they may be different from yours, and you may not agree with them, but that's okay. Acceptance is just that; doesn't mean agreeing. 

COMPASSION
Showing genuine kindness and concern for others. It's not just an "I'm so sorry.." or a "Let me know if you need anything.." It's a "Is there anything I can do for you?" "What can I do to make this easier for you?" "What can I do so we can get through this?" It's not about dropping condolences because it seems appropriate, it's about actually helping someone work through their struggles. Being there for them. Letting them know that they are not alone in their struggles. Sometimes, just sitting with them in silence is all it takes. Silence can speak multitudes more than words. Your time is the most valuable thing you can give someone.


INTIMACY 
When I say intimacy, I don't mean sex. This quote that is pictured, that's what I mean when I say intimacy. Getting emotionally naked. Being vulnerable is a scary feeling. But when the right person comes along the fear washes away & you're completely comfortable opening your soul to them. In order for that to happen there needs to be a solid foundation of trust.


TRUST
There's so much more depth to trusting someone than just trusting them that they won't cheat on you. Instilling your trust goes far beyond that. Real trust is being able to give someone your heart and having faith they won't destroy it. 

& EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
When you love someone, you support them in all they do and aspire to accomplish. You stick with them through thick and thin. When shit starts to hit the fan, you don't go running the other way..you work through it and get past it. You lift them up when they're down. You don't hold their mistakes against them, nor their past. When you love someone and you're with them, there's nowhere you'd rather be than in that moment. You care about their well being, their health, and their happiness...even if it doesn't include you.



Of course there's so much more I could add, but that's my overall view on love. Oh, and the answer to the question I mentioned at the beginning of this post? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment