13 December 2013

Choices, choices, choices..




With a new pregnancy announcement on Facebook every day, and a current trending topic on Twitter being "#PrayToEndAbortion", I think it's time I address this. In a logical sense. Not fed by emotions, or religion. You guessed it, I'm going to be addressing abortion.

Pro Choice v. Pro Life
One thing that needs to be understood about being pro-choice is that it does NOT actually mean pro-abortion. Pro-choice means the individual believes in the CHOICE. The right to CHOOSE between terminating the pregnancy, or carrying out the pregnancy. You know, the radical idea that women own their bodies. Yes, I understand that it takes two to tango, but men aren't the ones that get pregnant. Should their input be valued? Yes. The ultimate decision however is up to the woman.

Generally, those who are pro-life have a religious background. There are also those who are pro-life because they've been pregnant previously, but miscarried. I know there are other reasons why people are pro-life, but those beliefs generally are fed from the two reasons I mentioned. A religious standpoint, and an emotional standpoint.

Religion is a whole different ballgame, though. We are free to practice the religion of our choice. Religion should NOT be shoved down people's throats, or used to make our laws.


Right v. Wrong
What is right for someone, may be wrong for someone else. Let me say that again.. what is right for someone, may be wrong for someone else. For some, deciding to carry out the pregnancy may be the right choice. For others, terminating the pregnancy may be the right choice. You, and only you can decide what is the right choice for you. It's quite simple. If you don't agree with abortion, don't have an abortion. (Same goes for everything else..guns, marriage, religion etc.) Just because you don't agree with it does not make it wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, that's the beauty of the USA.

My Story
Some of you reading this may know, others may not. I don't keep this a secret, as I have a video on Youtube that says this for all of the internet to see. Yes, I have had an abortion. It was the right choice for me. I was 19 years old. Financially unstable, and not emotionally mature enough to carry out a pregnancy and raise a child. I told my boyfriend at the time, and his response was that if I carried out the pregnancy he would want nothing to do with me or the child. Nothing to do with me? Okay. Nothing to do with your child? Yeah, no. I wasn't going to have MY child grow up without a father. I know what it's like growing up without a dad. Not knowing the other half of you. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy, so why would I bring a fucking CHILD into this world knowing they wouldn't know their father?




For those of you wondering, I had it done at 6 weeks. 
The ultrasound looked exactly like what is pictured to the right. So for those of you who will judge me, and give me shit because "you killed an innocent baby!".. please.. do tell me where there's a baby in this picture!? That's what I thought.

About the procedure: it's not painful, it's not emotionally draining. Well, the blood work prior to the surgery is painful...but that's because I'm a little bitch about having my blood taken. Anesthesia knocks you out almost immediately, then 5-10 minutes later you wake up. Like nothing even happened.  

Some people regret their decision, I do not. Would I have another abortion? No. I'm in a different place in my life now, and am much more careful about knowing where a guy stands on children before I jump in bed with him. I would also like to clarify my own personal opinion: I do not agree with late-term abortions. Once the fetus has reached the point of being able to survive on it's own outside of the womb...that's when I consider it a baby. 

I will leave you with this..


No comments:

Post a Comment